Faith and Deeds
There is one part of James 2:14-26 that really caught my eye and made me think of something that has recently happened to me that deals with my faith and dealing with deeds and that is what I will be sharing with you.
The verse that caught my eye is: James 2:19-22 “You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.”
When I read this part of the verse all I can think about is how everyone always asks God for something and we never give in return. We never put our full trust in God and if something goes wrong then we jump to blaming Him. This verse is trying to say how we need to put our full trust in God, put our faith in Him and He will reward us with His deeds. Recently I had to put my full trust in God with my uncle who was fighting lung cancer. I prayed every night, “please make my uncle better.” Until one night I finally put my full trust and faith in God and said, “God please do what is best for my uncle, if you think he would be better off with you then let him go and I will understand.” The next day my uncle passed and I wasn’t mad at God I knew He did what was best for my uncle and he is not suffering anymore. I put my full faith into God’s hands and He rewarded me with His deed of not letting my uncle suffer anymore.
I feel like more people need to do this and will realize that everything and everyone has a purpose in life and God does take the best of us but it’s not to hurt us or make us mad at Him. We just need to put our full faith and trust in God and He will reward us. In my case, I felt a lot better about asking God to do this deed for me with my uncle and it didn’t make me mad at God, like it normally would. I felt at peace and I know my uncle’s with God right now and not suffering. I feel more people should open their eyes to an experience like this and see where it takes them. I pray that everyone can open their eyes to this and open their trust to God and experience something as moving as I did, Amen!
Future educator, Proud owner of Lulu the Dwarf Hamster, Hiking enthusiast
- James // 8:00pm Lang Hall // Come join us this Thursday as Andrew Sladky continues our series on James with James 2:14 - 26. Bring a friend! #AllAreWelcome #BLESS
- College - Aged Lunch // Join us Sunday, October 27th after the 10:45 service at the Nazareth Lutheran Church for a potato bar!! The bar includes: pulled pork sandwiches, broccoli & cheese, mandarin oranges, brownies, and a variety of topings for your potatoes! Bring a friend and your appetite! #BLESS #Eat #Potatoes
- Fall Bash // October 31st // 8:00 - 10:00 pm // Lutheran Student Center// Get ready for a spooky good time! There will be games, free food, a costume contest, and more! #BASICFallBash
- Prayer Team // Here at BASIC we follow the BLESS model. One way we BLESS others through our Prayer Team. Some of the ways the Prayer Team BLESSes others by praying over the seats before BASIC, praying over each prayer request you submit, and offering prayer partners in the hall during the last part of BASIC. Click the graphic below to sign up, or contact Breana Knight at email@example.com for more information! #PrayerTeam #BLESS #BeginWithPrayer
- Podcast // Miss a BASIC teaching or want to hear it again? You can now find all of our teachings on all of your favorite podcast platforms, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google, and more! Click the graphic below to learn more! #Listen #BLESS
- Life Groups // Looking to get more involved with a faith community? Joining a Life Group is a wonderful way to meet new people and share God’s love! You sign up for a Life Group in Cedar Falls or Waverly (both on and off campus)! Sign ups start Thursday! #LifeGroupLove #Community
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click any of the graphics below for more information!: