The Power of Words
While reading James 3:1-12 truth was hitting me...hard. The verses that have rooted deep are James 3:9-12. It reads, “With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth comes praise and cursing.”
How often have I used my words to spread hate instead of love? How often have I taken my stress or anger out on others? As if God wasn’t in everyone around me. How often have you done this? We all have the mindset that it’s okay to sin because after all we will be forgiven. Or we tell ourselves that there are people out there doing far worse sins. That talking down to people or gossiping isn’t really a sin. However, these are just lies we tell ourselves. We have all gone through battles. We have all been the victim of hurtful words, yet even knowing the pain it can inflict and the everlasting effect it can cause, we continue to do it ourselves. Why? Because it’s easy. We live in a society where perfection is expected, yet unreachable. This makes it easy to tear others down or put judgment on them to make ourselves feel that, hey even if we aren’t perfect, at least we are doing “better” than this person. But that’s not a life following Jesus.
As a Chaos leader, I’ve seen firsthand how lots of young kids are affected by harsh words and foul judgment. I mean we all remember those junior high days, no matter how much we may want to forget. I recently had a conversation with a young girl who was struggling with feeling unloved. She told me that Chaos and church are the only places she feels truly loved and important. She continued to explain that some of her friends would be different outside of church. And it got me thinking. It’s so easy to show kindness and love inside the four walls of the church, but when we leave those walls that changes. Sunday ends and we go back to our busy lives. During this time it can be difficult to not let the anger, lack of sleep, sadness, or frustration out on others.
These verses reminded me that as humans we make mistakes and we say hurtful things, even when we don’t mean to. But these verses also reminded me that it’s our job to try to be the best Christians we can. To love a little more each day.
Coffee lover, Beagle mom, Brunch enthusiast
- James // 8:00pm Lang Hall // Come join us this Thursday as Chassidi Martin continues our series on James with James 3:1 - 12. Bring a friend! #AllAreWelcome #BLESS
- Sean Curran // This Thursday, Sean Curran will be leading us in a muscial worship here at BASIC! Our prayer is that we can come together as community to experience how BIG God is. He is bigger than any of us individually. He is bigger than a church building, denomination, or organization. And He is bigger than our doubts, fears and questions. We want to welcome everyone to come worship with us this Thursday, and we are so excited to worship with you! #AllAreWelcome #BiggerThanIThought
- College - Aged Lunch // Join us Sunday, November 17th after the 10:45 service at Orchard Hill Church for a Thanksgiving Feast!! Bring a friend and your appetite! #BLESS #Eat #Thanksgiving
- Lip Sync Battle // ThreeHouse: A Wesley Foundation // On November 14th from 9:30 - 11:00pm, mark your calanders for the annual lip sync! #AfterBASIC
- Promotions Team // Do you like to serve behind the scenes? Are you interested in sharing BASIC's events with others and BLESSing others through social media? The Promotions Team works with the BASIC Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts to spread awareness of BASIC's events and share how God is working in our community. Want to learn more? Click the graphic below to sign up or email Madison Imoehl at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information! #PromoTeam #BLESS
- Podcast // Miss a BASIC teaching or want to hear it again? You can now find all of our teachings on all of your favorite podcast platforms, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google, and more! Click the graphic below to learn more! #Listen #BLESS
- Life Groups // Looking to get more involved with a faith community? Joining a Life Group is a wonderful way to meet new people and share God’s love! You sign up for a Life Group in Cedar Falls or Waverly (both on and off campus)! Sign ups start Thursday! #LifeGroupLove #Community
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click any of the graphics below for more information!: