Trusting the Pilot
I was just minding my own business as my mom and I went up into the air on a cloudy March day when I felt the plane bounce up and down. For those of you who have been on a plane before, you know that your mom’s coke is not supposed spill onto the tray due to the movement of the plane. In fact, it’s supposed to be relatively smooth. Even though I was 18, I did something I rarely do: I grabbed onto my mom who was sitting right next to me. She reminded me that God was with us and started praying.
Maybe the thing that bothered me the most was the fact that we were up in the air, and there was nothing I could do to make the continued turbulence go away. I don’t know about you, but I like having control, especially of my uncomfort. I don’t like the feeling of being unable to remove myself from a situation.
When I was in that airplane, there was absolutely nothing I could do. I could not ask the pilot to land the plane. All I could feel was the turbulence around us, and I knew deep down that I was not going to die, but I was confident this plane had to go down one way or another. I forgot to remember that I don’t know a whole lot about flying a plane, but the statistics of dying from a plane crash are extremely low. (I won’t make up statistics, even though 73% of statistics are made up on the spot, but the chances are actually extremely low.) The pilots knew what they were doing, and I did not.
In my own life, sometimes I forget that God knows everything, but I do not. God is the best pilot in the universe, and even though we may face trials, if we trust Him, He will pull us through. Sometimes it feels like there’s nothing we can do to fix our situation, but when we realize that we don’t have control, there is freedom. This freedom comes from the understanding that God is bigger than our battles. God is bigger than our mistakes. God is bigger than your grandma’s illness. God is bigger than depression and anxiety. The Creator of the universe loves you. Rest in that.
With Jesus, this plane of life is never crashing. When you land safely, you land in Heaven through the grace of God if you just believe in Jesus.
Overly enthusiastic about the color mint green, Possible presidential candidate for 2036, Liked squishy things before they were cool
Spoiler alert: we made it. Hi, Grandpa!
- James // 8:00pm Lang Hall // Come join us this Thursday as Enrique Ochoa continues our series on James with James 4:13 - 17 & 5:1 - 6. Bring a friend! #AllAreWelcome
- Stories from the Seats // Sharing stories is an important part of the BLESS model we practice here at BASIC. This Thursday, come listen as Haylee Luna shares her Story from the Seats during BASIC! #BLESS #Story
- International Connections Team // Would you like to reach out to people from other cultures or just be encouraged to speak the Gospel truth everyday? BASIC's International Connections team is a group of people who are excited about cross cultural relationships. We spend time together every other week praying and encouraging each other in the ways that we can better reach out to our friends from all over the world. We also host events for the international community which include international food and Gospel relationships. Want to learn more? Click the graphic below to sign up or email Hanna Lovestad at email@example.com for more information! #Community #BLESS
- Christmas BASIC // On Thursday December 12th, join us at Nazareth Lutheran Church for a special BASIC service! Join us at 6:00pm for a meal, then stay for a student led service at 7:00pm. The service is open to people of all ages, so bring your family and bring your friends! #ChristmasBASIC #SundayService #AllAreWelcome
- Podcast // Miss a BASIC teaching or want to hear it again? You can now find all of our teachings on all of your favorite podcast platforms, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google, and more! Click the graphic below to learn more! #Listen #BLESS
- Life Groups // Looking to get more involved with a faith community? Joining a Life Group is a wonderful way to meet new people and share God’s love! You sign up for a Life Group in Cedar Falls or Waverly (both on and off campus)! Sign ups start Thursday! #LifeGroupLove #Community
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click any of the graphics below for more information!: