Finding Light in the Trials
One big thing that has stuck out to me this semester is God does not give us our trials but uses them. I am a student athlete at UNI but have not competed much due to back to back injuries the last 3 years. I repeatedly was frustrated and upset as to why God would keep taking away something I love to do.
It took some time for me to really realize He was not doing this to me but the one going through it with me. I was constantly looking for Him and was not seeing Him. Until it really hit me, He has been here the whole time. Last winter break and spring semester, I began to notice the people around me and how they have all really impacted me. I began to see Him in all the little things instead of waiting for some big ‘sign’. He shined through my friends who always made sure I was okay. He shined through the athletic trainers and my teammates that were there for every step. Then, He for sure shined through the BASIC community that was filled with loving and caring people. He shined and continues to shine His light through so many people that helped me get through each set back.
The best moment was when I began to see how God was using these trials. When my teammates go through injury, I had a good idea what they are going through. Even this season I had a close friend who was going through a very similar back injury that I dealt with last spring. She was upset and I was able to be someone that she was able to talk to and understand all her frustrations. I am able to empathize with my teammates and in many cases go through it with them. I continue to meet some of my greatest friends through the training room and rehab and I certainly have God to thank for that.
My plan was never to miss 3 years of running but it happened and I wouldn't change a thing. I may not have noticed right away but God helped me through it all and continues to help me through it. He constantly reminds me through the great memories and relationships that continue to come out of each trial. We can not avoid these bad things from happening but it is important to know we are never alone. My hope for you is to be able to trust in Him when you go through trials in life and see how He may use this situation.
One of six kids in my family, Dog lover, Avid runner
- James // 8:00pm Lang Hall // Come join us this Thursday as Karla Chestnut continues our series on James with James 5:7 - 20. Bring a friend! #AllAreWelcome
- Christmas BASIC // On Thursday December 12th, join us at Nazareth Lutheran Church for a special BASIC service! Join us at 6:00pm for a meal, then stay for a student led service at 7:00pm. The service is open to people of all ages, so bring your family and bring your friends! #ChristmasBASIC #SundayService #AllAreWelcome
- Christmas In Walnut // Saturday December 14th // Looking for a volunteer opportunity, or a way to spread God’s love this Christmas season? Look no further! Christmas in Walnut is offering plenty of opportunities for you to volunteer and Help spread a little Christmas cheer by signing up! Click the graphic below for more information! #BLESS #Christmas
- College - Aged Lunch // Join us Sunday, December 15th after the 10:45 service at Orchard Hill Church for a Christmas Ham Dinner!! Bring a friend and your appetite! #BLESS #Eat #ChristmasFeast
- Creativity Team // Creativity Team is a team that helps form creative elements to allow humans to experience God is a variety of ways at events such as Sanctuary, Fall Bash, and Love Does. You don't have to be "good" drawing or be artistic to be part of Creativity Team! Anyone is welcome to join, and it's a wonderful way to get plugged into a fun, hands-on community at BASIC. Click the graphic below to sign up! #CreativityTeam #BLESS #AllAreWelcome
- Podcast // Miss a BASIC teaching or want to hear it again? You can now find all of our teachings on all of your favorite podcast platforms, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google, and more! Click the graphic below to learn more! #Listen #BLESS
- Life Groups // Looking to get more involved with a faith community? Joining a Life Group is a wonderful way to meet new people and share God’s love! You sign up for a Life Group in Cedar Falls or Waverly (both on and off campus)! Sign ups start Thursday! #LifeGroupLove #Community
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click any of the graphics below for more information!: