Preparing for Change
Raise your hand if you were more than ready to go back to school and start this semester. Raise your hand if you wish you had a few more weeks left of break. Wherever you may be sitting right now, it’s more than likely that you have some sort of plan as to how your semester will go.
Maybe you’re finally going to take that class you’ve been dying to take or apply for that job you’ve always wanted. Maybe you’re going to venture out of your comfort zone to make new friends, try new foods, or travel somewhere new. The point is, many of you probably have an idea of what you want your semester to look like. If you’re like me, some of you may have even made extensive plans as to what you think your semester should look like.
Regardless of the plans you have for next semester, you should remember one thing: Be prepared for change. If your plans do not align with God’s, there’s a good chance He will guide you back to where you need to be.
Over break, I was constantly reminded of this idea. I am currently entering in to my last semester at the University of Northern Iowa, and I couldn’t be more ready to leave. I had a plan of how I could finish my major and two minors this semester, have the perfect living situation, and how I could speed up the process of leaving UNI in the rearview mirror. Everything I wanted fit so perfectly within my own ideals that I lost track of where my plan was fitting in with God’s. I watched as my perfect plan slowly began to unravel before my eyes as God started to close the doors I wanted to go through in favor of opening the doors I needed. At the time, I felt like someone was purposely trying to make my life miserable. It wasn’t until I stumbled upon Jeremiah 29:11 that I realized I was so consumed with my vision that I forgot to look ahead at the potential doors that were being opened in front of me. God wouldn’t let me venture into any situation without letting it lead me to something far better in my future. Now, that doesn’t mean I’m not still nervous about how this next semester will play out, but at least I’ve found a bit of comfort in knowing that God will lead me wherever I need to be.
As you’re venturing into the new semester and creating your own plans, I encourage you to take a moment to see if your plans are centering around God or your own desires. Maybe you can look at Jeremiah 29:11 and find comfort in the fact that, despite what may be happening in your life right now, God always has your well-being in mind as He shows you the path leading towards your future. Then maybe, just maybe, as you’re centering your plans around Him, you’ll find that you’re able to open your heart to something God is calling you to do. And if you choose to listen, you might be surprised where it leads you.
Casual artist, Author-in-progress, Mango smoothie enthusiast
- FOUNDATIONS // 8:00pm Lang Hall // Come join us this Thursday as Ed Baker kicks off our FOUNDATION series. We will be exploring the questions about the foundational parts of the Christian faith starting with the question: "What is the Bible?". Bring a friend! #AllAreWelcome
- College - Aged Lunch // Join us Sunday, January 26th after the 10:45 service at Orchard Hill Church for all of your tailgate favorites!! Bring a friend and your appetite! #BLESS #Eat
- Prodution Team // Do you like to serve behind the scenes? Are you interested in tech, audio, lighting, media? Want to make some new friends while helping set up and tear down for BASIC each week? Whether you have zero experience or a ton, we would love to have you join our team.We know that serving is one of the best ways to grow in your faith, and this is a great way to serve your fellow peers and bless this campus. Click the graphic below or email Trae Eenhuis at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more and sign up! #BASICTeams #BASICFam
- Podcast // Miss a BASIC teaching or want to hear it again? You can now find all of our teachings on all of your favorite podcast platforms, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google, and more! Click the graphic below to learn more! #Listen #BLESS
- Life Groups // Looking to get more involved with a faith community? Joining a Life Group is a wonderful way to meet new people and share God’s love! You sign up for a Life Group in Cedar Falls or Waverly (both on and off campus)! Sign ups start Thursday! #LifeGroupLove #Community
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click any of the graphics below for more information!