We’re almost a month into the new decade and a new year. If you’re like me, you probably prepared some New Year's resolutions going into 2020. Personally, I decided to choose a word: authentic. In a world that is surrounded by perfection in the form of social media, being authentic is sometimes the last thing that’s depicted from the images across our screen. Even deeper than that I find sometimes I’m not even authentic with myself. But how am I supposed to accomplish this lofty goal?
What I’ve learned in the first month of the new decade and a new year is this: I have no idea how to be authentic and I’m not doing a very good job with this goal. Quite frankly, when I realized this it bummed me out and I felt defeated. But I hear God saying, give it time and be patient. He reminded me of this with Lamentations 3:22-23: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
God used this verse to remind me of the grace He extends to us every day. He loves us, He is compassionate and He is full of grace. In the same way I was reminded to receive His love, receive His compassion and receive His grace. I still don’t know what being my truest, authentic self may look like. But we aren’t asked to figure out these things on our own. By receiving these things from God and allowing Him to hold our hand and be our guide, our goals become more attainable. Not because He’ll make them easier or because all the challenges are thrown away, but because He is willing to help us and guide is to the person/place He wants us to be.
I don’t think that it’s too late to set goals for this next year. In fact, what might God be trying to tell you? What is He trying to walk beside you through? Are you allowing Him to be your guide?
Digging deep and asking yourself these questions can be daunting and challenging, but if you allow yourself to receive His love, receive His compassion and receive His grace; these questions will become less daunting and challenging. Don’t be hard on yourself when you aren’t measuring up to who you think you should be, but instead turn to those three things and allow yourself to receive them.
Future teacher, Friends enthusiast, Next top chef
- FOUNDATIONS // 8:00pm Lang Hall // Come join us this Thursday as Ed Baker kicks off our FOUNDATION series. We will be exploring the questions about the foundational parts of the Christian faith starting with the question: "What is the Bible?" Bring a friend! #AllAreWelcome
- Gathering in Waverly // TONIGHT // Our student organization BASIC in Waverly is hosting a campus-wide worship event at Wartburg College! This event is meant to be a time to engage in an intentional community, worship, and listen to a message. Bring a friend! #AllAreWelcome
- Camp Night // Join us this Thursday as we welcome representatives from various camps around the area. They will be available before an after BASIC to answer any questions you may have about their camps and how you might be able to BLESS and serve others through a camp experience! #CampNight #BLESS #Serve
- College - Aged Lunch // Join us Sunday, February 9th after the 10:45 service at Orchard Hill Church for all of a Mexican Fiesta!! Bring a friend and your appetite! #BLESS #Eat
- Prayer Team // Here at BASIC we follow the BLESS model. One way we BLESS others through our Prayer Team. Some of the ways the Prayer Team BLESSes others by praying over the seats before BASIC, praying over each prayer request you submit, and offering prayer partners in the hall during the last part of BASIC. Click the graphic below to sign up, or contact Breana Knight at email@example.com for more information! #PrayerTeam #BLESS #BeginWithPrayer
- Podcast // Miss a BASIC teaching or want to hear it again? You can now find all of our teachings on all of your favorite podcast platforms, including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google, and more! Click the graphic below to learn more! #Listen #BLESS
- Life Groups // Looking to get more involved with a faith community? Joining a Life Group is a wonderful way to meet new people and share God’s love! You sign up for a Life Group in Cedar Falls or Waverly (both on and off campus)! Sign ups start Thursday! #LifeGroupLove #Community
- Sunday Morning Worship // Join us on Sundays for church at Orchard Hill, Nazareth Lutheran Church, or Orchard Hill’s campus in Waverly! See the graphic below for service times and worship locations! #SundayWorship
Click any of the graphics below for more information!